We hope you love the products we recommend and just so you know that as an Amazon Associate MyLogSplitter may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need to split some wood for the winter season, a log splitter can make the job much easier. The Yard Machine Log Splitter is an affordable option that can handle most types of wood. In this guide, we will give you an overview of how to operate this machine, including its features and some helpful tips for using it.
About the Powerhorse 22 Ton – 212CC Engine Log Splitter
Before we dive in, If you’re in the market for a decent log splitter, you may want to check out the following log splitter from Powerhouse:
This log splitter is designed to be powerful, efficient, and easy to use. It features a premium hydraulic system with wire-reinforced hoses, an 11 GPM cast iron pump, and a Zinga-made Powerhorse filter.
The reliable Powerhorse engine has industrial-strength components, high-quality ball bearings, and a steel fuel tank.
- Heavy-duty hydraulic system protects and extends the life of hydraulic system components by preventing contaminants from entering and circulating through the system
- 10 Micron Zinga-made Powerhorse filter removes contaminants created during operation or introduced when adding or changing oil
- 100 Mesh suction strainer acts as a pre-filter to prolong the life of the return line filter, valve, pump and cylinder and also prevents contaminants from passing through system components up stream of the return line filter
- 40 micron breather prevents airborne contaminants from entering the hydraulic system
- Inlet and outlet locations are on opposite sides of the tank to promote cooling of the hydraulic fluid by increasing its travel t
The splitter has a heavy-duty pivot for horizontal and vertical splitting, and a tapered wedge that can split all types of wood with ease. It also has an auto-return wedge that resets to the proper starting position, built-in log cradles, and is rated for fully-loaded, continuous use to eliminate downtime. While some assembly is required, this log splitter is a popular choice for both professionals and do-it-yourself.
How to Operate a Log Splitter
Before starting the machine, ensure that it is on a flat surface and that the logs you are splitting are stable and secure. Here are the steps to follow:
- Set the machine to the desired position: The machine can be used vertically or horizontally. If you’re splitting bigger logs, you can set it vertically. If not, keep it horizontal.
- Add hydraulic fluid: Open the fill-up lid and add hydraulic fluid. Ensure that you use the recommended hydraulic fluid for the machine.
- How to start wood splitter: Turn on the machine by pressing the on button. Then, push the choke on and start the machine. You may need to pull the lever to get the machine started.
- Load the logs: Load the logs into the splitter. Ensure that the logs are stable and secure before starting the machine.
- Split the logs: Pull the lever to split the logs. The wedge will come out and crush the wood that’s in between it and the plate. Once you’ve split the logs, push the lever back, and the RAM will pop out on its own.
How to use a Manual Wood Splitter
- Choose a suitable location: Find a flat surface that is stable and secure. You may want to place a large piece of wood underneath the log you’re splitting to prevent it from rolling around.
- Position the log: Place the log on the splitting surface with one end facing up. Make sure the log is stable and won’t roll or move while you’re splitting it.
- Mark the log: Look for any knots or twists in the log, and mark where you want to split it. This will help you aim the wedge more accurately.
- Start splitting: Hold the handle of the splitter with both hands and lift the wedge above your head. Then, bring the wedge down onto the log, aiming for the mark you made earlier. Use force to drive the wedge into the log.
- Repeat the process: Once the wedge is in the log, use your hands to open up the crack further. Then, lift the splitter and wedge, reposition it along the crack, and strike it again with force. Repeat this process until the log is split into the desired size.
- Split any remaining pieces: If the log has been split into several pieces, you can use the splitter to split any remaining pieces until they are the desired size.
- Clean up: Remove any debris or wood chips from the splitting surface and dispose of them properly.
Note that using a manual wood splitter requires a certain amount of physical strength and endurance, as it can be tiring and challenging work. Always use proper safety equipment, such as gloves and eye protection, and take frequent breaks to avoid fatigue.
The Mighty Hand: A great Manual wood splitter option:
The Mighty Hand is a manual wood splitter that claims to be a safer and faster alternative to using an axe or maul. Weighing just 13 lbs, it is portable and can be used in various locations without the need for mounting. The cast-iron unibody and wide base provide stability while cracking wood, and it can also be anchored to a flat surface using the four half-inch bolt holes.
- SET, STRIKE, SPLIT — Mighty Hand is the best way to effortlessly split firewood. Faster and safer than using a dangerous axe, splitting maul or hatchet. With the Mighty Hand, everyone can get in on the action without breaking a sweat.
- SOLID, STURDY & STABLE — At just 13 lbs, take the Mighty Hand hand wood splitter with you wherever you need to split kindling. From your backyard to the camp site — no mounting necessary.
- WORRY-FREE CRACKER — Cast-iron unibody. Extra-wide 11” base with 1¾” lip. This means added stability when cracking wood. You can also anchor the Mighty Hand to any flat surface using the four half-inch bolt holes.
- FINGER-FRIENDLY SAFEGUARDS — A wide safety ring keeps your fingers away from the blade while splitting wood. The rounded, convex grind wont slice you like an axe blade, and forces the wood grain apart more efficiently than a flat grind blade.
- GOLD-STAR SERVICE — New Mighty Hand wood splitter wedges are backed by a 1-year limited warranty. Have questions? Reach out to our expert customer support team, 7 days a week, via email or phone. Our team is fully staffed in the U
The safety ring and convex grind blade are designed to prevent injuries while efficiently splitting wood. The product comes with a 1-year limited warranty, and customer support is available via email or phone.
Helpful Log Splitter Tips
- Know your wood: Splitting wood has a lot to do with knowing how the grain goes through the wood. If you know your wood, you won’t have any problem with a 20-ton press.
- Change the filter regularly: To keep the machine in good condition, change the filter every once in a while.
- Keep the machine lubricated: Lubricate the machine regularly to keep it in good working condition.
Final notes on Safety
Here are three final safety tips for using a log splitter safely:
- Always wear appropriate safety gear: When operating a log splitter, it’s essential to wear the appropriate safety gear. This includes gloves, eye protection, and steel-toed boots.
- Keep your hands and body clear: Keep your hands and body clear of the log splitter while it is in operation. Never try to reach in or near the machine while it’s running.
- Always turn off the machine before making any adjustments: Before making any adjustments or clearing any jams, always turn off the machine and allow it to come to a complete stop. This will prevent any accidents from occurring.